The Bonhams Quail Lodge Auction 2012 was held August 16-17 at the Quail Lodge in Carmel, California, resulting in total sales of $12.8 million and a 51% sell-through rate.
Held in connection with the Quail Motorsport Gathering, the 15th annual Bonhams Quail Lodge sale featured approximately 150 cars and motorcycles. Top result went to the ex-GTC Gulf Team Davidoff 1997 McLaren F1 GTR Longtail that sold post-block for an estimated $3,850,000*, followed by the ex-Filipinetti/Dominique Martin Team ZITRO 1966 Ford GT40 at $2,200,000 and the ex-Mecom/Simoniz Racing/Ron Grable 1966 Lola T70 MkII GT Coupe that brought $324,000.
Bonhams offered not only automobiles but motorcycles, automobilia and jewelry at Quail Lodge. Notable sales included the trio of Crocker V-Twin motorcycles that all sold to a private collection in Asia Pacific for approximately $300,000 each, the 1937 Brough Superior SS100 that made $203,000 and the Lalique “Renard” fox mascot that made a new world record at almost $340,000.
Other interesting lots included the unique Art Deco 1941 Tatra T87 Aerodynamic Saloon that exceeded all estimates selling for $280,000, while the 1970 BMW CSL Group 2 Coupe realized $214,000.
Bonhmas Group CEO Malcolm Barber commented, “This was a wonderful way to celebrate our 15th anniversary auction on the peninsula – we welcomed old friends and new faces into our spacious new facility. This followed a week-long activity commencing with our sponsorship of the exciting Pre-Historic Races at Laguna Seca and hosting the Quail Rally breakfast.”
Bonhams offered 153 vehicles for sale, with 78 finding a new owner, reflecting a 51% sell-through rate. Total sales volume was $12,800,000*, inclusive of buyer’s premiums. The average price per vehicle sold was $164,102. In 2011, Bonhams offered 129 vehicles for sale, with 62 finding a new owner, reflecting an 48% sell-through rate. Total sales volume was $10,211,765, inclusive of buyer’s premiums. The average price per vehicle sold was $164,706.
Bonhams Quail Lodge 2012 – Top Ten Auction Results
1. 1997 McLaren F1 GTR – $3,850,000*
2. 1966 Ford GT40 Coupe – $2,205,000
3. 1966 Lola T70 Mk II Coupe – $324,000
4. 1937 Crocker V-Twin – $302,000
5. 1940 Crocker Big Tank V-Twin – $302,000
6. 1967 Ferrari 330 GTC – $299,800
7. 1937 Crocker V-Twin – $291,000
8. 1941 Tatra T87 Aerodynamic Saloon – $280,000
9. 1938 Aston Martin 15/98 Sports Tourer – $214,000
10. 1970 BMW 3.0 CSL Group Two – $214,000
For complete results, visit www.bonhams.com/quail.
* The 1997 McLaren F1 GTR failed to sell on the auction block at the high bid of $3,300,000. Bonhams did announce its sale in the post-event release, but without the final sales figure which we have estimated.