The RM Auctions Arizona 2013 sale will be held January 18th at the Arizona Biltmore Resort in Phoenix, with approximately 80 collector cars crossing the block at the 14th annual auction.
“Two thousand and twelve has been another terrific year for the collector car hobby, with the market continuing to show resilience to fluctuating financial markets. Solid results have been recorded across the board, with rare and exceptional automobiles continuing to attract great prices at auction, in turn providing a very positive forecast for the New Year,” says Shelby Myers, Managing Director, RM Auctions – California. “We are excited to return to Biltmore in January as we kick off the 2013 auction season. With an emphasis on ‘best of category’ examples and strong early interest received from clients around the world, it is set to be a must-attend event.”
Headlining early entries for the 2013 RM Auctions Arizona sale is a trio of Shelbys, led by a fully documented 1967 Shelby 427 ‘Semi-Competition’ Cobra, CSX 3045. One of just 29 S/C Cobras built, this history of CSX 3045 includes an extensive vintage racing career and ownership by the John Mozart Collection, where it was subjected to a full restoration (est. $1,400,000–$1,700,000).
“The 427 S/C Cobra was marketed when new as the fastest street car ever built. Certainly no exaggeration, it is brutally fast and combines a powerful exhaust note with stunning performance to provide an exhilarating drive,” says Gord Duff, Car Specialist, RM Auctions. “With only 29 examples of its kind ever built, cars such as this 427 S/C Cobra are seldom offered for public sale. We are truly honored to have been entrusted with its sale in Arizona. A genuine, low-mileage example with a perfect provenance, it is certain to appeal to serious collectors of American racing history.”
CSX 3045 will be joined on RM’s Arizona auction stage by the 1963 Shelby ‘Factory Competition-Specification’ Cobra, CSX 2032, built to competition specification for Shelby friend and patron Lance Reventlow, son of Woolworth heir Barbara Hutton, and equipped with various options (est. $750,000–$950,000), and a 1965 Shelby Mustang GT350 R, chassis 5R531, one of only 33 production R models (est. $750,000–$950,000).
RM Auctions will also offer a selection of Ferraris at the Arizona sale, including a Classiche-certified, Platinum-winning 1966 Ferrari 275 GTB, chassis 08697 (est. $1,200,000–$1,600,000); an original, matching numbers 1967 Ferrari 275 GTB/4, chassis 10195, complete with Red Book certification and fresh from a restoration by Ferrari Classiche in Maranello (est. $1,400,000–$1,750,000); and a matching-numbers 1954 Ferrari 250 Europa Coupe, chassis 0343EU, one of just 16 coupes produced and recipient of a Platinum award at Cavallino (est. $800,000–$1,000,000).
Other early highlights for the 2013 RM Auctions Arizona sale include:
- 1938 Delahaye 135 MS Coupe, chassis 60158, displayed at the Figoni et Falaschi stand at the 1938 Paris Salon and fitted with a MS racing engine (est. $1,000,000–$1,400,000);
- 1956 Mercedes-Benz 300SC Cabriolet, chassis 188.013.6500077, one of 49 examples produced and featuring coachwork by Sindelfingen (est. $800,000–$1,000,000);
- 1969 Lamborghini Miura P400 ‘SV Specification,’ chassis 3952, recently restored by marque experts (est. $700,000–$850,000);
- 1963 Mercedes-Benz 300SL Roadster, chassis 198.042.10.003003, just three owners from new (est. $700,000–$850,000).
- 1934 Cadillac V-16 Convertible Sedan by Fleetwood, chassis 51168, one of only five built and purchased new by Mrs. Edith du Pont Riegel (est. $650,000–$850,000);
- 1933 Chrysler Imperial CL Convertible Roadster by LeBaron, chassis 7803578, one of six known to exist (est. $550,000–$750,000); and
- 1935 Auburn 851SC ‘Boattail’ Speedster, chassis 33811E, ex-Luigi Chinetti and Rosso Bianco Museum and recipient of a recent, extensive ground-up restoration (est. $500,000–$575,000).
RM’s Arizona sale kicks off the 2013 calendar of events that includes the Bruce Weiner Collection — the world’s largest collection of the world’s smallest cars — February 15–16 in Madison, Georgia. Other early 2013 events include the company’s Amelia Island sale, scheduled March 9 in conjunction with the Amelia Island Concours d’Elegance, as well as a return to Cernobbio, Italy, May 25, for its biennial sale during the Concorso d’Eleganza Villa d’Este weekend.
For additional, visit rmauctions.com or call +1 519 352 4575.
RM Auctions Arizona 2013 – Event Details
Sale date: January 18, 2013; auction commences at 11 a.m. MST
Preview dates: January 17, 2013 (from 10 a.m. MST) and January 18, 2013 (from 9 a.m. MST)
Location: Arizona Biltmore Resort & Spa, 200 East Missouri Ave, Phoenix, Arizona, 85016
Admission: An official auction catalogue is available for $120 US and admits two people to the preview. Admission to the auction is open to registered bidders, consignors, and qualified media only.
[Source: RM Auctions]