The historically significant 1963 Gulf Oil Corvette Z06 Race Car was sold at the Mecum Auction at Osceola Heritage Park, January 22-24, 2009.
The “Gulf One” topped the auction’s sales, selling for $1,050,000.
“We’re declining to participate in this recession,” said Dana Mecum, president, Mecum Auctions, noting the significant sales and strong attendance at the Kissimmee event. “The collector car market has stabilized and it’s now getting back to the levels seen in 2004 and 2005.”
The Gulf One was the main attraction of 750 collector cars, muscle cars and Corvettes offered at the auction, which reported a 58% sold rate. Auction attendance grew 51% over 2008. Total gross sales for the three-day auction were $16.5 million, up from $15.2 million last year. Starting with this auction, Mecum has begun reporting the hammer prices for all vehicles sold – not including buyer’s premiums.
Kissimmee’s Top 10 Sales were:
- 1963 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 “Gulf One” (Lot S110) at $1,050,000
- 1962 Mercedes-Benz 300SL Roadster (Lot S158) at $525,000
- 1969 Chevrolet Corvette L88 Race Car (Lot S142) at $305,000
- 1957 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible 283/283 HP Fuelie (Lot S138) at $250,000
- 1964 Ford Galaxie Hardtop 427 Hi Riser (Lot S130) at $205,000
- 1964 Ford Fairlane 427 Thunderbolt Drag Racer (Lot S134) $195,000
- 1969 Dodge Charger Daytona (Lot S154) at $195,000
- 1953 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (Lot F254) at $165,000
- 1953 Buick Skylark Convertible (Lot F255) at $135,000
- 1953 Oldsmobile Fiesta Convertible (Lot F256) at $135,000
Excitement surrounding the Corvette Z06 was enhanced by the presence of legendary driver Dr. Dick Thompson, who was on site signing autographs and taking pictures next to the race car he originally drove in 1963. Known as the “Flying Dentist,” Thompson contended for national championships during the ’50s and ’60s and was a mainstay in SCCA racing.
Full results of the Kissimmee, Fla., auction are available to Mecum InfoNet members, which is free to join at http://www.mecum.com/infonet/infonet.cfm. Mecum InfoNet members can log in to see car-by-car results by visiting the Consignments Page.
Mecum’s next auction – the Mecum Kansas Auction, March 20-21, 2009, in Kansas City, Mo. – is open to the public with tickets available at the door for $10. For more information, visit www.Mecum.com. Additional Mecum auctions will be broadcast live on HD Theater’s popular high-definition television series, “Mecum Auto Auction: Muscle Cars & More,” including Dana Mecum’s Original Spring Classic Auction from Indianapolis on May 13-17, 2009.
[Source: Mecum Auction]