The Lime Rock Historic Festival 2013 will be held August 30th to September 2nd at Lime Rock Park in Connecticut. Vintage car racing returns to the 7-turn, 1.5 mile road course over Labor Day weekend, in addition to the Sunday in the Park Concours.
The 31st annual event will honor the 100th anniversary of Aston Martin and Buick, as well as the 50th birthday of the Porsche 911, Lotus Elan and Bruce McLaren Motor Racing Ltd.
“We are blessed with a tremendous variety of milestones and anniversaries in 2013,” Lime Rock Historic Festival Chairman Murray Smith said. “Any and all automotive enthusiasts cannot help but be mesmerized by the number and quality of cars we’ll see gracing – and racing on – the grounds at Lime Rock.”
Lime Rock Historic Festival 2013 – Competition Race Groups
1. “Speed and Agility,” small-bore post-war sports and GT cars
2. “The Dawn of Real Performance,” racing and sports cars to 1949
3. “Racing Icons,” the Porsche 911 turns 50
4. “Who Needs Fenders,” built for victory, formula cars to 1965
5. “Built to Win,” sports racers 1950 – 1962
6. “No Holds Barred,” a formula libre category
7. “Wild, Wild Horses,” Big-bore post-war sports and GT cars
8. “Sophisticated and Specialized,” sports racers 1965 – 1976
9. “Fast and Furious,” original Trans-Am cars, 1966 – 1972
Smith also announced that a very special group of Cunninghams will be on site, saying, “Details will be forthcoming, but I guarantee it will be of tremendous interest to those that have only an ounce of racing blood in their veins.”
For the Sunday in the Park Concours, Chairman Kent Bain confirmed 29 classes and nine special awards, all competing for the Rolex Best in Show. Highlights include:
“Only the Best for Bond,” post-war Aston Martins to 1969
“A Clever Cunningham,” accolades for a very rare breed of American racers
“The Marvel of McLaren”
“911 Sports and GT Heaven”
“The Value of Valves on Top,” 100 years of Buick
“Elan Elation,” Lotus innovation rewarded
Since 1983, the Lime Rock Historic Festival and its companion ‘Sunday in the Park Concours’ have offered three days of on-track racing and a Concours event – all on the same property. The racing at Lime Rock Park is Saturday and Monday, with 800+ cars on display for the Sunday in the Park and Gathering of the Marques.
For additional information, visit limerock.com.
[Source: Lime Rock; photo: Michael DiPleco]