The Mecum Anaheim 2012 auction was held November 15-17 at the Anaheim Convention Center in California, resulting in more than $15.2 million in total sales.
Capacity crowds visited the three-day sale, the largest collector car auction ever held in Southern California as 850 vehicles crossed the block. A pair of SoCal hot rod legends were among the top sellers: the McMullen Roadster, the top sale of the auction at $700,000, and the Jack Calori 1936 Ford Coupe, the number three top seller at $300,000.
Built by the Tom McMullen, the 1932 Ford McMullen Roadster inspired a generation of hot-rodders when it appeared on the cover of Hot Rod in April 1963. Restored by another rodding great, Roy Brizio, the flamed, chopped and dropped McMullen Roadster earned Third in Class at the 2007 Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance.
In keeping with the auction’s SoCal theme, the third-highest sale was the Jack Calori Coupe. Another landmark machine in the hotrodding-customizing culture, the Calori Coupe first appeared on the cover of Hot Rod in 1949. Also restored by Roy Brizio, it won the first-ever Early Custom Cars 1935-1948 Class and the Dean Bachelor Award at the 2005 Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance.
Other notable results at the 2012 Mecum Anaheim sale included an ACD-certified Category 1 Original 1930 Duesenberg Model J that hammered at $370,000, two 1969 Boss 429 Mustangs (Lot S133, which sold at $175,000 and Lot S203 at $162,500), a 1953 Corvette roadster (Lot S86 at $170,000) and Lot S123, a matching numbers, rotisserie-restored 1969 Pontiac GTO Judge convertible sold at $135,000.
Mecum Anaheim 2012 – Top 10 Auction Results
1. 1932 Ford McMullen Roadster (Lot S109) – $700,000
2. 1930 Duesenberg Model J Limousine (Lot S122) – $370,000
3. 1936 Ford Jack Calori Coupe (Lot S116) – $300,000
4. 1969 Ford Mustang Boss 429 (Lot S133) – $175,000
5. 1953 Chevrolet Corvette Roadster (Lot S86) – $170,000
6. 1965 Chevrolet Chevelle Z16 (Lot S117) – $170,000
7. 1969 Ford Mustang Boss 429 (Lot S203) – $162,500
8. 1967 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible 427/435 HP (Lot S112) – $145,000
9. 1950 Cadillac Custom Roadster (Lot S167) – $140,000
10. 1969 Pontiac GTO Judge Convertible (Lot S123) – $135,000
The next auction on the 2012 Mecum calendar will be held December 6-8 at the Kansas City Convention Center in Kansas City, Missouri. For more information, visit Mecum.com or call 262-275-5050.