The debut Mecum Austin 2014 auction was held December 12-13 at the Austin Convention Center in Austin, Texas, resulting in $14,668,347 in total sales and nearly a 70 percent sell-through rate. The anticipated offering of 600 vehicles was exceeded as 660 vehicles crossed the auction block during the 2-day sale. The results brought Mecum’s 2014 total to a record $330 million with 76 percent of offered lots sold.
“The volume of consigned cars greatly exceeded our expectations for the inaugural Mecum Austin Auction, which resulted in a fantastic finish to a record year for Mecum Auctions,” said President and Founder Dana Mecum. “With more than 2,100 registered bidders and 10,000 energetic spectators, these stats are a testament to the strength of the collector car market in Austin and the state of Texas as a whole. The year 2014 was a banner year for growth and achievement for our company, and with big plans for 2015, we’re excited to continue raising the bar.”
The top result at the Mecum Austin 2014 sale went to a one-owner 2006 Ford GT (Lot S99.1) with 267 miles that brought a $310,000 high bid. Other notable sales included a four-speed 1970 Plymouth Hemi Cuda (Lot S125) that sold for $275,000, a 1969 Chevrolet COPO Camaro (Lot S95.1) that made $170,000 and an unrestored 1967 Mercury R-Code Comet (Lot S98) with 2,004 miles that hammered at $169,000. A 2005 Ford GT (Lot S166.1) sold for $269,000 and a 1955 Chevrolet 3100 Resto Mod pickup (Lot S106) brought $142,500.
Mecum Austin 2014 – Top Ten Auction Results (all sales reflect hammer prices):
1. 2006 Ford GT (Lot S99.1) – $310,000
2. 1970 Plymouth Hemi Cuda (Lot S125) – $275,000
3. 2005 Ford GT (Lot S166.1) at $269,000
4. 1969 Chevrolet COPO Camaro (Lot S95.1) – $170,000
5. 1967 Mercury Comet 202 Sedan (Lot S98) – $169,000
6. 1963 Chevrolet Corvette Split Window Coupe (Lot F156.1) – $165,000
7. 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle LS6 (Lot S111) – $145,000
8. 1955 Chevrolet 3100 Resto Mod (Lot S106) – $142,500
9. 1968 Ford Shelby GT500KR Fastback (Lot F252) – $127,500
10. 1955 Mercedes-Benz 190SL Roadster (Lot S116.1) – $125,000
Mecum will start its 2015 auction calendar with 750 motorcycles offered at the 24th annual Las Vegas Motorcycle Auction January 8-10, followed by the world’s largest collector car auction in Kissimmee, Florida, January 16-25 with 3,000 vehicles expected at Osceola Heritage Park. For more information, to consign a vehicle or to register as a bidder, visit Mecum.com or call (262) 275-5050.
[Source: Mecum Auctions]