The Mecum Auctions Chicago 2013 sale was held October 10-12 at the Schaumburg Convention Center in Illinois, resulting in $18,634,223 in total sales and a 64% sell-through rate.
With 965 cars crossing the block during the three-day Chicago event, the top sale at the 2013 Mecum auction went to the one-off personal driver of Corvette’s original designer Harley J. Earl that sold for a hammer price of $1.5 million. Record numbers of registered bidders in attendance translated to results that were up nearly $7 million over last year’s Chicago-area auction.
The Harley Earl Corvette (Lot S110), a 1963 General Motors styling car, took top honors at $1.5 million. At a sale price of a half-million, a 1969 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 (Lot S135.1) took the second seat in the top ten sales. As number 23 of just 69 built that year, the ZL1 has been restored to its original factory specifications. Coming in as the third top sale was a 2005 Ford GT (Lot S219). A one-owner car with a mere 2,047 miles on the odometer, this American super car sold for $240,000.
Mecum Chicago 2013 – Top Ten Auction Results (all sales reflect hammer prices)
1. 1963 Harley J. Earl Corvette (Lot S110) – $1,500,000
2. 1969 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 (Lot S135.1) – $500,000
3. 2005 Ford GT (Lot S219) – $240,000
4. 1965 Shelby Cobra, CSX4337 (Lot S205.1) – $140,000
5. 1967 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible (Lot S233) – $135,000
6. 1968 Dodge Hemi Dart Lightweight (Lot S116.1) – $125,000
7. 1969 Pontiac Trans Am (Lot S151) – $118,000
8. 1962 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible (Lot S157) – $110,000
9. 2013 Chevrolet COPO Camaro (Lot S174) – $105,000
10. 1951 Willys Overland Custom Pickup (Lot S116) – $100,000
For complete results, visit www.mecum.com.
Mecum’s next classic and collector car auction will be in Southern California at the Anaheim Convention Center on November 21-23 featuring 750 vehicles. For more information or to consign a car for an upcoming Mecum auction, visit www.mecum.com or call (262) 275-5050.
[Source: Mecum Auctions; photo: David Newhardt]