The Mecum Chicago 2015 auction was held October 8-10 at the Renaissance Schaumburg Convention Center in Illinois, resulting in $13,267,564 in total sales.
A total of 494 cars changed hands over three days in Chicago, with classic and modern American muscle cars ruling the top 10 results. A red-on-black 2005 Ford GT (Lot S177.1) with 6,941 miles claimed the top sales honors at $230,000, followed by a four-speed 1970 Pontiac GTO Judge Ram Air IV (Lot S99) from the Scott Shaffer Collection bringing $160,000 and a 1969 Pontiac Trans Am (Lot S98) from the Shaffer Collection hammering at $127,500.
Other notable results at the Mecum Chicago 2015 sale included a Bloomington Gold-certified 1961 Chevrolet Corvette Big Brake Fuelie (Lot S161) that sold for $115,000 and a 1966 Batmobile Replica (Lot S139) with functioning smoke screen and flamethrower turbine that made $110,000.
“As the area’s only classic and collector car auction, we consistently see a great turnout for our annual Chicago auction,” reported Frank Mecum, Mecum Auctions’ director of consignments. “This year was no exception. It was also exciting to see that Illinois-local Scott Shaffer’s collection was received so positively. All five of his cars sold for a combined total closing in on a half-million dollars.”
Mecum Chicago 2015 – Top Ten Auction Results (sales reflect hammer prices)
1. 2005 Ford GT (Lot S177.1) – $230,000
2. 1970 Pontiac GTO Judge Ram Air IV (Lot S99) – $160,000
3. 1969 Pontiac Trans Am (Lot S98) – $127,500
4. 1953 Buick Skylark Convertible (Lot S131) – $127,500
5. 1961 Chevrolet Corvette Big Brake Fuelie (Lot S161) – $115,000
6. 1987 Buick GNX (Lot S105.1) – $112,500
7. 1966 Batmobile Replica (Lot S139) – $110,000
8. 2005 Ferrari F430 Spider (Lot F168.1) – $110,000
9. 1970 Buick GSX (Lot S79) – $80,000
10. 1970 Dodge Challenger T/A (Lot S124) – $80,000
For complete auction results, visit Mecum.com.
Mecum’s next 2015 classic and collector car auction will be a 750-car auction in Anaheim, California, November 12-14 followed by the December 11-12 Austin, Texas, auction to close out the year. Mecum will kick off the New Year with an offering of 700 vintage and antique motorcycles in Las Vegas, January 7-9, followed by the world’s largest classic and collector car auction in Kissimmee, Florida, January 15-24. For more details, to consign a vehicle or to register as a bidder, visit Mecum.com or call (262) 275-5050.