The Mecum Dallas Auction 2013 was held September 4-7 at the Dallas Convention Center in Texas, resulting in total sales of $37,913,093 and a 70% sales rate.
The third annual Mecum Dallas sale saw 1,432 classic and collector cars crossing the auction block throughout the four-day event and 986 of them hammering sold. The top result went to collector Buddy Herin’s 1967 Chevrolet Corvette L88 Convertible (Lot S123) that brought a record $3.2 million. The L88 is one of just 20 produced that year and boasts an impressive history on the track. Well-documented, the car was offered with its original tank sticker, vintage race photos and time slips, and the bragging rights of being the winner of the 1967 NHRA A/Sports Nationals at Indianapolis.
In total, four cars from the Buddy Herin Collection offering made the top 10 sales list including his 1969 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 (Lot S127) that hammered at $530,000. As number 62 of just 69 produced, the highly-optioned ZL1 was the only one to roll out of the factory in its red-on-red color combination. Following what quickly became a Chevy-heavy theme in the top 10 sales, number three was Herin’s 1957 Chevrolet Corvette Airbox (Lot S121) that sold for $290,000, with a 2005 Ford GT (Lot S107) and 2008 Lamborghini Murcielago (Lot S110) from the Michael Scott Collection representing the only non-Chevy cars to make the list selling for $255,000 and $230,000 respectfully.
“Buddy’s collection, as anticipated, was the highlight of the four-day event,” commented Mecum President and Founder Dana Mecum. “His record-setting L88 made history once again, selling for $3.2 million, the highest price ever achieved for a Corvette at auction.”
Mecum Dallas 2013 – Top Ten Auction Results (all sales reflect hammer prices)
1. 1967 Chevrolet Corvette L88 Convertible (Lot S123) – $3,200,000
2. 1969 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 (Lot S127) – $530,000
3. 1957 Chevrolet Corvette Airbox (Lot S121) – $290,000
4. 1969 Chevrolet Yenko Camaro (Lot S134.1) – $275,000
5. 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle LS6 Convertible (Lot S122) – $275,000
6. 2005 Ford GT (Lot S107) – $255,000
7. 1963 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 (Lot S125) – $250,000
8. 2008 Lamborghini Murcielago LP640 Roadster (Lot S110) – $230,000
9. 1965 Chevrolet Chevelle Z16 (Lot S165) – $225,000
10. 1967 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe (Lot S204.1) – $205,500
For complete auction results, visit Mecum.com.
Mecum’s next 2013 classic and collector car auction will be October 10-12 at their newest venue, the Schaumburg Convention Center in Chicago, and will feature 1,000 vehicles. For more information or to consign a car for an upcoming Mecum auction, visit Mecum.com or call (262) 275-5050.
[Source: Mecum Auctions; photos: John Hollansworth Jr]