The Mecum Indianapolis 2016 auction was held May 17-21 at the Indiana State Fairgrounds in Indianapolis, resulting in $48,873,590 in total sales and a 70 percent sell-through rate. Dana Mecum’s 29th annual Original Spring Classic sale saw 1,567 vehicles cross the auction block with 1,094 hammering sold.
“With an increase of more than 20 percent in car sales from last year’s event, this was another undeniably successful auction for Mecum, and a great testament to this year’s continued growth and strong momentum,” said Consignment Director Frank Mecum. “It’s wild to imagine that this auction started some 29 years ago with a fraction of the cars, and here we stand today, knocking down $50 million.”
The 2016 edition of Mecum’s Original Spring Classic featured more than a dozen private collection offerings, most of which were dominated by classic muscle cars. Friday, May 20 saw the headlining Joe McMurrey Collection of 17 cars cross the auction block and each and every one hammer sold for a total of $3,412,000. Three of McMurrey’s cars landed in the auction’s top 10 sales with his 1967 Shelby Cobra (Lot F124) commanding the highest hammer price of all five auction days at $1,100,000. His two Shelby GT350 Fastbacks also sold well, with his ’65 (Lot F125) gaveling at $500,000 and his ’67 (Lot F127) at $285,000.
Keeping with the Shelby-themed top sales, the 1964 Shelby 289 Cobra Roadster (Lot F163) that crossed the auction block a bit later that day also commanded seven figures with a final bid of $1 million.
Mecum Indianapolis 2016 – Top Ten Auction Results (sales reflect hammer price)
1. 1967 Shelby 427 Cobra Roadster (Lot F124) – $1,100,000
2. 1964 Shelby 289 Cobra Roadster (Lot F163) – $1,000,000
3. 1965 Shelby Mustang GT350 Fastback (Lot F125) – $500,000
4. 1970 Plymouth Hemi Cuda (Lot S129) – $425,000
5. 1972 Ferrari 246 GT Dino (Lot F243) – $310,000
6. 1967 Shelby GT350 Fastback (Lot F127) – $285,000
7. 1969 Ford Mustang Boss 429 Fastback (Lot F117) – $260,000
8. 1969 Chevrolet Yenko Camaro (Lot S200) – $260,000
9. 1970 Ford Mustang Boss 429 Fastback (Lot S108) – $240,000
10. 1969 Chevrolet Yenko Camaro (Lot S154) – $225,000
For complete auction results, visit Mecum.com.
The next 2016 Mecum Auctions collector car sale will be at the Portland Expo Center in Portland, Oregon, for the company’s inaugural event in that area. The June 17-18 auction is expected to feature 600 vehicles and more than 100 items of Road Art and memorabilia.
For more information or to register as a bidder, visit Mecum.com or call (262) 275-5050.