Mecum Auctions held their third annual Monterey Auction on August 18-20, 2011 at the Del Monte Golf Course in Monterey California, resulting in nearly $25 million in gross sales and a 65% sell-through rate.
More than 700 vehicles crossed the auction block at 2011 Mecum Monterey, headlined by the top sale of the 1931 Miller Bowes Seal Fast Special for a hammer price of $2 million. Mecum said the Miller was the only Indy winner ever offered and sold at public auction.
“We are very pleased with the impressive, year-after-year growth of our Monterey Auction in just our third year on the peninsula,” said President Dana Mecum. “The convenience and comfort of our spacious auction venue combined with the diversity of vehicles offered created an ideal climate for collectors. Our top 10 sales – an incredible mix of classics, European sports cars, race cars and muscle – clearly illustrates what Mecum is all about. From a $2,000 scooter to a $2 million Indy winner, there was truly something for everyone.”
Mecum kicked off the three-day Monterey auction with a variety of high-quality motorcycles, including a Yamaha YZF-R1 presented by guest auctioneer and noted auto enthusiast Jay Leno. The bike raised $87,000 for the Bailey’s Café School of the Arts in the Bronx. Mecum also offered antique and wooden boats, selling, among others, a 1938 19-foot Chris-Craft Race Boat (Lot F162) for $80,000, after winning Best of Show at Lake Tahoe just the week before.
Additional Mecum Monterey auction highlights included the David V. Uihlein Collection 1912 Mercer Raceabout selling for $625,000, the David V. Uihlein Collection 1937 Bugatti Type 57 Ventoux Coupe at $350,000, the ex-Alain Prost 1980 McLaren M29 F1 Grand Prix Race Car for $325,000, 1947 Ford Sportsman Woody Convertible that brought a strong $285,000, as well as the stout $270,000 paid for the barn-find, 2,910 original mile 1974 Ferrari Dino 246 GTS.
Mecum Monterey 2011 – Top 10 Auction Results (all sales reflect hammer prices)
1. 1931 Miller Bowes Seal Fast Special Indy 500 Winner (Lot S147.1) – $2,000,000
2. 1912 Mercer Raceabout (Lot S148) – $625,000
3. 1961 Mercedes-Benz 300 SL Roadster (Lot S85) – $585,000
4. 1937 Bugatti Type 57 Ventoux Coupe (Lot S146) – $350,000
5. 2005 Porsche Carrera GT (Lot S157) – $335,000
6. 1980 McLaren M29 F1 Grand Prix Race Car (Lot S171) – $325,000
7. 1973 Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona Spyder (Lot S162) – $300,000
8. 1947 Ford Sportsman Woody Convertible (Lot S115) – $285,000
9. 1969 Ford Mustang Boss 429 Fastback (Lot S141) – $280,000
10. 1974 Ferrari Dino 246 GTS (Lot S88) – $270,000
For complete Mecum Monterey results, visit www.mecum.com.
[Source: Mecum Auctions]