Mecum Auctions held its 24th Annual Original Spring Classic Auction, May 17-22, 2011, at the Indiana State Fairgrounds in Indianapolis, resulting in more than $50 million in total sales and an 80% sell-through rate.
“We are proud of the excitement shown by collectors, enthusiasts and spectators participating in our Spring Classic event as we delivered on our mission to make the world’s largest collector car auction even larger than last year,” said President Dana Mecum.
“The overwhelming success of our fast-paced Original Spring Classic Auction is continued proof that collectors at all levels are following their passion and buying the cars of their dreams. We also took memorabilia collecting to a whole new level at this event with Mecum’s inaugural Memorabilia Auction, which boasted strong participation and high-level bidding,” continued Mecum.
Mecum Auctions offered a total of 3,381 lots during the six-day Original Spring Classic 2011 event, including 1,918 vehicles crossing the block, with 1,249 or 66% selling at the hammer price in excess of $47 million. Mecum also offered 1,463 lots of memorabilia, with 1,416 or 97% items selling at the hammer price of $906,605. Factor in the 6% buyer’s premium on vehicles and 15% buyer’s premium on memorabilia, and total sales for the event reached $51.1 million.
The Mecum Original Spring Classic Auction 2011 saw a variety of cars crossing the auction block: muscle cars, vintage racers, Corvettes, Ferraris, street rods, classic trucks and motorcycles. Top sale went to the 1971 Plymouth Hemi Cuda at $550,000, followed by the 2006 Prevost Featherlite Vantare H3-45 at $525,000 and the 1963 Shelby Cobra 289 Roadster at $490,000.
Held simultaneously with Mecum’s vehicle auction, the Memorabilia Auction took place in a separate auction ring and featured petroliana, porcelain and neon signs from various consigners, including entire collections from Mike Guarise and Zeb Morris. The top-selling item was a 60-inch round Chevrolet Super Service Milk Glass Neon Sign (Lot K387) for $20,000.
Mecum Original Spring Classic Auction 2011 – Top 10 Vehicle Sales (all sales reflect hammer prices)
1. 1971 Plymouth Hemi Cuda (Lot S266) at $550,000
2. 2006 Prevost Featherlite Vantare H3-45 (Lot F45.1) at $525,000
3. 1963 Shelby Cobra 289 Roadster (Lot S226) at $490,000
4. 1967 Chevrolet Nickey/Bill Thomas 427 Stage III Camaro (Lot S193) at $400,000
5. 1969 Chevrolet Yenko Super Camaro (Lot F234) at $345,000
6. 1969 Chevrolet ZL1 Camaro (Lot S199) at $305,000
7. 1973 Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona (Lot S132) at $265,000
8. 1969 Chevrolet Yenko Chevelle (Lot F223) at $260,000
9. 1957 Ford Thunderbird Phase I D/F (Lot F228) at $260,000
10. 1970 Plymouth Hemi Cuda (Lot S143) at $225,000
For complete auction results, visit www.Mecum.com.