The inaugural Mecum Monterey Auction was deemed successful as the company claimed the highest single vehicle sale in its history – $7.25 million for the 1965 Shelby Daytona Cobra Coupe – and reached total gross sales for the one-day auction of $14.3 million (including buyer’s premium).
“Our first Monterey auction was a wonderful milestone for Mecum. Our company made history by selling the legendary Shelby Daytona Cobra Coupe, which set a new record for the highest price paid for an American car at public auction,” said President Dana Mecum.
“In addition, we had an amazing array of high-end classic and exotic cars cross the auction block, from early ’30s Ford street rods to late-model Bentleys. It was exciting to bring both serious car collectors and enthusiasts to the Hyatt Regency Monterey, which is just minutes from downtown and gave us ample room to display cars on the beautiful Del Monte golf course. We look forward to returning to Monterey with even more cars to offer.”
Mecum’s Top 10 Sales from the Monterey Auction (all sales reflect hammer prices) were:
1. 1965 Shelby Daytona Cobra Coupe (Lot S104) at $7,250,000
2. 1940 Packard Darrin Super 8 (Lot S87) at $330,000
3. 1973 Ferrari Daytona 365 GTB/4 (Lot S80) at $300,000
4. 1967 Chevrolet Corvette (Lot S86) at $205,000
5. 1956 Mercedes-Benz 300SC (Lot S214) at $190,000
6. 1940 Lincoln Zephyr Continental (Lot S79) at $161,000
7. 1969 Chevrolet Corvette L88 Coupe (Lot S208) at $150,000
8. 1957 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible (Lot S113) at $150,000
9. 1953 Oldsmobile Fiesta Convertible (Lot S94) at $150,000
10. 1954 Packard Caribbean Convertible (Lot S63) at $137,500
For complete auction results, visit www.mecum.com.
Mecum’s next auction, the McDorman Sign Collection, takes place Sept. 11-12, 2009, at Bob McDorman Chevrolet in Canal Winchester, Ohio, and will feature more than 1,000 neon signs, memorabilia and automotive parts.
[Source: Mecum Auction]