The first-ever West Coast appearance of Porsche Rennsport Reunion IV will be held October 14-16, 2011 at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca in Salinas, California.
More than 350 Porsche race cars have been accepted to participate in the on-track racing during the 2011 Porsche Rennsport Reunion IV. They will tackle the 2.238-mile, 11-turn Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, where many of these same cars once turned a wheel in anger during their professional racing day.
In addition to the 350 rare Porsche race cars competing on the track, the event will also see more than 800 Porsches staged in the traditional car corral area and a special display of approximately 50 Porsche race cars in the paddock. These include cars from two significant collections: Porsche Museum in Germany, and Revs Institute for Automotive Research at the Collier Collection in Florida.
Cars from Porsche Museum include:
- 1971 Porsche 16-Cylinder, the only one built and intended for the Can-Am series
- 1973 Porsche 911 RSR, winner of the last Targa Florio
- 1977 935/2.0 “Baby,” which “added lightness’
- “Moby Dick,” the original that many consider to be the ultimate 935 Porsche
- Porsche 961, considered to be the “Uberporsche” race car, and is the one and only
- 911 GT-1 98 LM, which is widely thought to be the ultimate 911
Cars from the Revs Institute’s exhibit: “Porsche: Designed to Excel” include:
- 1953 Porsche 550 Coupe, the very first 550 built and raced at Le Mans
- 1959 Porsche 718 RSK Spyder, raced extensively in 1959 by now-legendary drivers
- 1960 Porsche Abarth-Carrera GTL, the only factory entry in the 1960 Le Mans
- 1967 Porsche 911R, winner of the 1969 Tour de France and Tour of Corsica
- 1971 Porsche 917K, of the famous Martini Racing Team, founded by Louise Piech
“This is just a sampling of some of the significant Porsche race cars that will be visible for fans,” commented Gill Campbell, CEO/general manager of Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca. “With all the supporting entertainment, legendary Porsche drivers, vendors and fan activities, Porsche Rennsport Reunion IV will be a delight for everyone interested in motorsports.”
Campbell continued, “There is going to be so much for visitors to do once they are here, it is going to be nearly impossible to cover it all in one day. Rennsport occurs only once every three years and Porsche Cars North America is ensuring that its West Coast debut will be a memorable one.”
On top of the line-up of Porsche race and sports cars, what quite possibly will be the largest reunion of former and current Porsche drivers will also be in attendance. More than 50 legendary drivers will be available for autograph sessions, mingling and plenty of story-telling of their days driving Porsche race cars.
For additional information and tickets, visit www.MazdaRaceway.com or call 800-327-7322.
Rennsport Reunion IV 2011 – Preview Video