The Salon Prive Concours d’Elegance 2012 will be staged 5th – 7th September on the grounds of Syon Park in London. This year represents the seventh consecutive Salon Prive and organizers promise a range of new features and exhibits, with more supercar and premium brands than ever before.
Expected to steal the limelight at the 2012 Salon Prive Concours d’Elegance is the ROFGO Gulf Collection, the assembly of 18 of the 22 race cars exhibited together in one place for the first time. These cars, instantly recognisable from their iconic sky blue and orange livery, stretch right back from 1967 (the 1967 Mirage was the first Gulf-liveried car to run at Le Mans) to the present day (the 2010 Lamborghini Gallardo competed in the GT2 Championship).
In a year when Her Majesty The Queen celebrates the 60-year Diamond Jubilee, the Mercedes-Benz Gullwing is also celebrating its own 60th anniversary in the public eye and will be on display at Syon Park this September. There will be exhibits from the 1950s to the new tribute SLS.
There will also be a special exhibit dedicated to memorable cars from the movies, including some rare DeLorean examples and a number of vehicles from the Bond franchise of 007 films over the years. Additionally, there will be a display of Carrozzeria Touring Superleggera Disco Volante, celebrating 60 years with models from the 1950s and 2012 seen together for the first time, and a collection of Ferrari F40 models that will honor the 25th anniversary of the supercar.
As always there will be some collectors’ models from overseas, including a number of unique one-offs such as the Lamborghini Flying Star (1961 Turin Motor Show car), Aston Martin DB4 Bertone Jet, 1912 Bugatti Type 16 number 471, the oldest competition Bugatti and the personal racing car of Ettore Bugatti and the Ferrari 330 GT Vignale shooting brake, exhibited by its owner – Jamiroquai front-man, Jay Kay. Motorbikes will take their rightful place on the Salon Privé lawn, led by some custom Harley Davidson models direct from Milwaukee, from 1912 to 2012.
The event also announced that five-times Le Mans winner, Derek Bell MBE, will once again lead the Chubb Insurance Concours d’Elegance team of judges. Bell commented, “With such an exquisite line up of exclusives and debuts, it is an honour to have been asked to be chief judge again this year at Salon Privé. I am particularly excited about the very special ROFGO Gulf collection and the line-up of unique shooting brakes. The only place on earth you will see such a gathering of automotive rarities is Salon Privé at Syon Park in September – and I for one wouldn’t miss it for the world.”
In addition to Chief Judge Derek Bell, additional judges include:
- Annette Abaci, Vintage Automobile Specialist, RM Auctions
- Dr Ulrich Bez, CEO, Aston Martin
- Keith Bluemel, Ferrari historian and author
- Ian Callum, Design Director, Jaguar Cars
- Julius Kruta, Bugatti historian, author and consultant
- Marcel Massini, Ferrari enthusiast and historian
- Harry Metcalfe, Founder and Editorial Director, EVO
- Dr. Adolfo Orsi, President of Historica Selecta
- Steve Parrish, motorsport commentator and former motorcycle racer
- Suzi Perry, British television presenter
- Marek Reichman, Director of Design, Aston Martin
- Frank Stephenson, Styling Director for McLaren Automotive
- Peter Stevens, car designer
- Malcolm Wheeler, Associate Director at Mortons Media Group and Editor of Classic Racer
- David Woodhouse, Chief Designer, Strategic Concepts for Ford Motor Company
- Andrea Zagato, Car Design Chief, Zagato
This year, the Concours will be renamed ‘The Chubb Insurance Concours d’Elégance at Salon Prive,’ as Chubb Insurance has signed a new three-year deal to hold title rights for the event.
Tickets to the 2012 edition of the Salon Prive Concours d’Elegance are fully inclusive of Pommery champagne, lobster luncheon, English afternoon tea and provide full access to all areas. They can be purchased at www.salonprivelondon.com or by calling the ticket hotline +44 (0) 808 100 2205.
[Source: Salon Prive; photo credit: Tim Scott / Fluid Images]