Host to major events like Petit Le Mans, the 2.54 mile, 12-turn Road Atlanta is always a favorite of drivers and spectators. The track has been plagued by rainy weather in 2009 and this race was no exception, as rain was present on Friday and Saturday.
On a brighter note, SVRA’s 30th annual banquet and awards presentation was held on Saturday night with many deserving drivers, mechanics and teams receiving their due notice. Highlights included Pro Mechanic of the Year – SASCO Sports; Amateur Mechanic of the Year – Gary Jebsen; Rookie of the Year – Matthew Fusillo; Most Improved Driver – Jim Stengel; “BUBBA” award in recognition of the spirit of SVRA racing – Dave Cancilla and Driver of the Year – Ed Jensen.
Photographer Darren Pierson documented this year’s race with a wonderful collection of pictures. This is the first time (of what we hope will be many) Darren’s work has been featured on Sports Car Digest. We hope you enjoy his photos as much as we do.
To see more of Darren’s work, visit www.dperceptions.com.
SVRA Road Atlanta Season Finale Results and Photo Gallery
Group One, Three and Four Results
1. Herb Wetanson, New York, NY – 1962 Lotus Super 7
2. Brian MacEachern, Flat Rock, NC – 1956 Lotus Eleven Le Mans
3. Stacey Schepens, Atlanta, GA – 1964 Morgan 4/4
Group Two Results
1. Bobby Brown, Mill Neck, NY – 1971 Brabham BT35 (F/B)
2. Travis Engen, Weston, CT – 1970 Chevron B17b (F/B)
3. Will Thomas, New Fairfield, CT – 1967 Brabham BT21 (F/B)
Group Five and Six
1. Dave Handy, Semora, NC – 1962 Lotus 23b
2. Alan Sevadjian, Dallas, TX – 1963/2009 Corvette Grand Sport
3. Sean Ryan, Asheville, NC – 1970 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28
1. Paul Flowers, Dothan, AL – 1975 Chevron B31/36
2. Asa Candler, Naples, FL – 1987 Swift DB2
3. Richard Duffey, Brookfield, WI – 1985 Swift DB2
1. Doug Campbell, Highlands, NC – 1964 Ginetta G4
2. Jerry Richards, Flowery Branch, GA – 1972 MGB/GT V8
3. David Bland, Louisville, KY – 1969 Porsche 911R