1971 24 Hours of Daytona – Race Profile

1971 24 Hours of Daytona – Day Break

As the sun began to break over Daytona Beach a brief rain shower hit the speedway causing misery for the corner workers and dangerously slick driving for the 25 cars still in the race.

The repaired Ferrari 512M of Mark Donohue and David Hobbs was trying to make up for lost time but had to pit for rain tires after spinning twice on the slick track. The 512M had passed the Chinetti – Veiga Ferrari 312P to regain third place and they were gaining on the second place Bucknum – Adamowicz Ferrari 512S.

Bucknum and Adamowicz were putting on quite a show with a car that seemed to be ailing. Every time the car came into a corner it belched flames from the exhaust. Later Adamowicz would say that Bucknum broke some valve springs running RPM’s that were too high. This caused the car to misfire and belch flames. To preserve the car for the finish they had to abandon any attempt at keeping up with the 917’s and, as later events would show, lose any chance of winning.

At 9 a.m. the Rodriguez – Oliver 917 was first, Bucknum – Adamowicz 512 was second, Donohue – Hobbs 512M third, Chinetti – Veiga 312P fourth and the Delorenzo – Yenko Corvette fifth.

After 21 hours of driving another J.W./Gulf Porsche 917 victory at Daytona seemed assured. Rodriguez and Oliver had what everyone thought to be an insurmountable lead of 213 miles over the second place car.

Ronnie Bucknum NART Ferrari 512S

Obviously Ronnie Bucknum lost something on the race course. Despite this problem he and Tony Adamowicz finished second.

Stephen Behr, John Buffum and Erwin Kremer - Porsche 914/6

Stephen Behr, John Buffum and Erwin Kremer drove this Porsche 914/6 to 8th place.

Chevron B16 at 24 Hours of Daytona

Early Sunday morning the Baker/Grossman/Reynolds Chevron B16 showing the wear of the 24 hour grind.

Porsche 917K of Pedro Rodriguez and Jackie Oliver

An unflattering view of David Yorke (blue shirt) as he gets the Gulf Porsche 917K of Pedro Rodriguez and Jackie Oliver lined up in the pit box.

Gulf Porsche 917K in pit box at Daytona 24 Hours

David Yorke (far left) directing the pit operation and coming into the picture on the far right is the great racing mechanic Ermanno Cuoghi whom some say was the best racing mechanic ever.

Porsche 914/6

The Ralph Meaney, Bill Bean, Gary Wright Porsche 914/6. The car failed to finish.

Owens Corning Corvette of Tony DeLorenzo and Don Yenko

The Owens Corning Corvette of Tony DeLorenzo and Don Yenko came in 4th.

Porsche 911S of Ray Walle and Michael Sherwin

Porsche 911S of Ray Walle and Michael Sherwin finished 14th.

Gulf Porsche 917K - Daytona 24 Hours 1971

Sunday morning with just a few hours left and the Gulf Porsche 917K and Ferrari 512S enter the high banks from the infield at Daytona. They pass the seventeenth place finishing MGB GT of Jim Gammon, Dean Donley and Carlos Garza. The Penske Ferrari 512M follows the three onto the high banks.

Pair of Chevron B16 onto high banks at Daytona

Chevron B16 of Jean-Pierre Hanrioud and Jean Sage leads the Chevron B16 of Clive Baker, Sam Brown, Bob Grossman and Charles Reynolds onto the high banks. The cars finished 15th and 12th, respectively.

Arturo Merzario/Jose Juncadella Ferrari 512S

The Arturo Merzario/Jose Juncadella Ferrari 512S coming into turn three. They were a DNF due to a faulty fuel pump.

Don Yenko Corvette and John Buffum in Porsche 914/6

Don Yenko gives a thank-you wave to John Buffum as they approach turn three at Daytona.

Comments

1. David McArthur says

Louis – Thanks to you for bringing this back to life. While it is 40 years old, your writing and images make it seem fresh and relevant. End of an Era indeed. Can you imagine if tomorrow’s race included modern versions of the factory Porsches and Ferraris? But no, we get to watch Daytona Prototypes…yawn.

Wonderful piece!

2. Chad B. says

Never knew Pedro was such a slick looking guy. He looks so calm before the race.

Superb photos and storytelling!!

3. says

Louis,

This is an amazing story indeed. It really reminds us of wonderful memories, with stunning cars, actually more good-looking than now. Congratulations for the text and the pictures.

4. Bruce Behrens says

Louis…what a great summary of a fabulous race! As you remember, our small-block Camaro (302c.i.) set a track record of 2:04 with John Tremblay @ the wheel… breaking the Penske Javelin’s old record of 2:06.5…our camaro made it into the top ten…then retired about 2;30am because of overheating… then at Sebring…but that’s another story for another article…!
    Thanks for the memories…!

5. Dave Kutz says

Great photos and great story Lou. The real reason Ferrari didn’t enter Daytona was because the transmission was still the F1 unit and not sufficiently robust for the longer races. The Giunti story was a convenient dodge…. They entered Sebring anyway and fessed up- it lasted until sundown.
    My last memory of Daytona ’71 was Davey Hobbs on the cool off lap, waving at everyone through the hole in the side window of the Sunoco Ferrari. It was a warm weekend unlike the year before and a great time to be there. Sure doesn’t seem like 40 years ago.

6. Jim Beebe says

Louis: Great article and pictures. Oh, to be back their and to have one of the classic cars of yesterday! Keep up the good work.

7. Doug Seeley says

Thanks to Louis Galanos and Sports Car Digest for this excellent account of this race, which must rate as one of the greatest endurance racing events the the U.S. Narrative and images dead on. Pedro Rodriquez – best of the best? Well done, Lou. Doug Seeley

8. Mario Levetto says

Really a terrific job; excellent background research (I’m sure you didn’t remember all the details!) with all the FIA/CSI rules and homologation requirements plus the alternative Ferrari – Porsche decisions. The race narrative is fantastic as the photos (as always)!
    Superb!

9. Pete Diamond says

Amazing photos. Glad they survived 40 years. Porsche and Ferri– what a dog fight. I think I’ll go out and buy several rolls of duct tape.

10. Phil Currin says

Thanks for the wonderful article Lou. Reading it and seeing some of your great photos really brings back some good memories!

• Bill Jobe says

Phil,

We remember the good old days don’t we. Seeing your name brought back some good ones too. How are you doing? My fun consists tooling around in my ’83 Ferrari 308 GTS when the weather is good. I’m in Snowmass Village, CO and it is cold and snowing today. Where are you these days.

Bill

11. John Norris says

Louis, I have to hand it to you for another great story.

Although I agree with your assessment of the FIA and its penchant for heavy-handed and biased regulation of the sports car racing world, I would suggest that you were much too kind. If I had been telling the story, I would have used stronger words to describe their inane meddling with rules and regulation to achieve whatever agenda they may have had, to favor or punish whomever they chose.

You certainly well presented the spirit of the Golden Age of Sports Car Racing in this story, as well as in your magnificent photos over the years. When the end of an era comes, sometimes it’s hard to recognize, and difficult to make oneself accept the fact that what was great has passed into history. As an active participant, if only peripherily, during a few of those Golden years, I have often thought of how exciting it was to see the tremendous battles among Ferrari, Porsche, Ford, Cobra, and all the others. Back then we had very little in the way of safety equipment, and as such, the drivers went charging around the tracks with “reckless abandon”. Many of them paid the price for that lack, and did not survive to tell their stories. The excitement of the factory battles and the courage of the men who drove the cars are what made the Golden age golden, at least in my perspective.

Now that age has caught up with me, I try to keep my memories of those times alive through books and photos such as your collection. That was a long time ago, though, and time fades all memories. Someday, and all too soon, there will be no living memory of those times, and the Golden Age will exist only in the books, films, and photos such as yours. That’s why your work has been so important. I thank you for that work-keep it going!

12. Pete Perkins says

Lou,
    You never cease to amaze me in your wide range of activities in past years. Knew of your Vietnam experiences in the Army during some tough times with good company. Knew you were a retired history teacher who helped many local children understand how history changed our world….but never knew about your work with race car folks in the 60’s. Wow, what an interesting life you have lived. Thanks for sharing this very fine piece and some great photos of the races that made history at Daytona!
    Pete

13. Bill Stowe says

Lou,

Another great article. The background surrounding the rules added alot to the race coverage.

Looking forward to your next article. Maybe I will meet up with you at this years Sebring.

Bill

14. Jurriaan Tas says

This is a fantastic, extremely well-written and well documented story. I loved it. It was pictures from this very race that got me hooked on racing. Just a few months later, I went to see Stve McQueen’s movie. I’ve had 917’s and 512’s etched on my retina ever since. There is no doubt in my mind that these were the most spectacular and virile cars ever to grace a racetrack.

I’d also like to vent some dissenting opinions. The 50 car rule was designed to dissuade constructors from building ever-faster, ever bigger-engined monsters whilst keeping the Lola T70 and Ford GT40 eligible, as grids would have been very thin if these cars hadn’t been allowed to compete. The number was reduced to 25 at the request of Porsche. The CSI relented, assuming that Porsche was going to build a Lola T70-type 5 liter car for privateers in the spirit of the 904 and 906, a sort of low-rev, low stress 908 spinoff. You may call it naïve, but they were caught off-guard when they discovered Porsche had made the request in order to facilitate a full-blown factory effort and I’m sure that contributed to their looking the other way when Ferrari fell a few 512’s short. Without Ferrari there simply wouldn’t have been anything to race for in 1970. The old man, of course, knew how to maximize this bargaining chip.

I would also suggest that the 512 M was no more different from the 512 S than the 1970 short-tail John Wyer 917 was from the original 1969 model. Again, not a very principled point of view from the CSI, but certainly opportunist because there would not have been any competition without the Ferrari.

Porsche has had a history of violating the spirit of rules whilst arguably sticking to their letter. Look at the Can-Am 917, the 911 Carrera RSR, the 935, the 936, or more recently the 911 GT1 and the RS Spyder. All of these cars made the existing opposition obsolete by, shall we say, “creatively” interpreting the rules in a way that they were never intended. More often than not, this killed off an attractive series in the process because mostly privateer competition didn’t have the resources to follow suit.

The 917/512 era was the best there ever was, but there’s more to the rules story than meets the eye.

15. John Bradley says

Louis, well done.
    I keep looking for myself in your pictures; for some of them we must have been standing next to each other.
    I was seated in the Timing & Scoring stand when the private plane went down and I thought I was the only one who saw it so I didn’t tell anyone.
    As you well know, it seemed like the lower half of the 24hr field was made up of Central Florida Region regulars, but the mutual respect between the drivers (well except for Mssrs F and A) was always there.
    I promise, I will find those boxes of pictures!
    All the best
    john

16. Scooter Patrick says

Louis,
    Great story and text. Like too many good series ie the Can-Am politics and promotors screw things up. Thanks for the E mail.
    Good to hear from you.
    Cheers,
    Scooter

17. Mario Levetto says

Lou:
    To confirm your statements that “The new 917 sports car was incredibly fast but also incredibly unstable and dangerous at high speeds. It was so unstable that Porsche had problems getting drivers willing to drive the car in events. Some flat refused instead demanding they drive the old 908LH” and that “This stability problem wasn’t resolved until Porsche partnered up with John Wyer and his automotive group.”
    In a recent interview for the Italian AUTOSPRINT magazine, Brian Redman recalls that initially none of the factory Porsche drivers wanted to drive the 917. The 908 was the preferred model with the 917 considered unstable and dangerous.This was true even after Siffert won on the Osterreichring circuit in Austria. Finally the solution was found when, thanks to Redman and John Horsman (John Wyer Gulf engineer), it was observed that although the windshield had bugs, the top part of the rear body was clean; therefore, where the moving air should have a reverse wing effect and force the rear tires to the ground there was , in fact, no downforce. With some aluminium, rivets, and tape the mechanics modified the aerodynamics shape of the rear aerodynamics and after a few fast laps on the track, the problem and solution were confirmed. The car was then definitely modified and became the winning Porsche 917.

18. Jo Castillo says

Lou, great article. That era is maybe my favorite one in car racing (even when I was only 2 at that time!). I envy anybody who was able to live it. BTW, a friend of mine happened to be in Buenos Aires when Giunti died, sitting in the grands only meters from the accident. Sadly, there is not even a small plaque to remember that great italian driver in the place where he passed away.
    Will we ever have again a Sport Cars Championship with so beautiful 8 and 12 cylinder monsters like 512s, 917s and Gt40s? Sadly, I don’t think so…

19. Tal Burkett says

Because of my schedule, I’m only now able to review this extraordinary article. You’ve brought it back to life for me.
    Whatever they’re paying you…it isn’t enough!

20. Manuel Diaz de Sandi says

Lou,

Thanks a lot for bringing back those days, I am the biggest fan of the 917 and Pedro of course!
    I´ll love to know your point of view regarding the lack of recognition from Porsche to Pedro as the best driver that has ever driven their cars!

21. says

We have the great privilege of frequently attending the events at Le Circuit, Mt. Tremblant, Quebec, Canada where the Number 6 Ferrari that so dramatically survived to place at this event currently resides. From time to time it is driven very competitively by it’s passionate owner who is never afraid to let it sing! If you ever have the chance to visit this beautifully restored track that Michael Schumacher refers to as “The Little Nurburgring”, just go. Here is a link to a Ferrari topic on our forums that includes current to a couple of seasons, pictures of this, and other historic Ferrari’s http://alturl.com/f7j99 .

22. Craig Morse says

Lou, Thanks for a great review. I was there thru all of it. I was only 17 at the time but was in the thick of it. I was part of a pit crew on a Datsun 510. Unfortunately, it was on the trailer before the race started. Having credentials to the pits, I made friends with Pedro and Derek. I still see Derek Bell regularly. It was cool seeing the photos, sure brings back a lot of memories. I am even in one of the pictures. I am in the crowd watching them repair the transmission. When they won, I got to help push the car into the winners circle. What a cool time. Unfortunately both Pedro and Seppi would both lose their lives just months later doing what they loved.

Trackbacks