The Algarve Historic Festival 2011 was held October 20-23 at the Autódromo Internacional do Algarve in Portimao, Portugal. Returning for its third year, the Algarve Historic Festival has quickly established itself as the largest and most important event of its kind on the Iberian Peninsula.
The Algarve Historic Festival 2011 saw multiple racing categories on track at the Algarve International Circuit, with more than 300 participants making new history on the Portimao circuit. Racing classes included Historic Formula One; Pre-62 front engine Formula One and Pre-66 rear engine Formula One; Group C and IMSA GTP 1982-90; Pre-1966 Under 2-litre saloons; Pre-1972 Sport Prototypes; Pre-war sports cars; 1950s sports cars; Italian Historic Car Cup; among others.
Headline entries at the 2011 Algarve Historics included the Ferrari 206P and Aston Martin DBR1 of Richard Attwood and Gregor Fisken; Porsche 718 RSK of Ian Nuthall and Stephan Rettenmaier; Maserati 200Si of Wolf Zweifler and Matthis Ficht; Jaguar C-Type of Wil Arif and John Young; Kurtis 500S of Adam and Joe Singer; Ferrari 246S of Bobby Verdon-Roe and Nick Leventis; plus several Ford GT40s; Cobras and Lola T70s.
Additionally, the Grand Prix Drivers Clubs hosted its annual meeting over the race weekend. Ex-GP drivers in attendance included: Maria Teresa de Filippis; Richard Attwood; Tony Brooks; Nanni Galli; Tim Parnell; David Piper; Peter Westbury; Hans-Joachim Stuck; Michael MacDowel; Reine Wisell; Patrick Tambay; Teddy Pilette; Gerald Ashmore; Roberto Moreno; Mário Araújo Cabral; and Pedro Lamy. There was a parade of the drivers during the final day of the event.
Similar to our 2010 event coverage, photographer Tim Scott documented the 2011 Algarve Historic Festival, bringing the following 535 pictures that highlight the strong grids and beautiful circuit found at this event. To see more from Tim, visit fluidimages.co.uk.
Algarve Historic Festival 2011 – Photo Gallery (click image for larger picture)
Algarve Historic Festival 2011 – Results
JD Classics Challenge – Results
1. Alex Buncombe / Gary Pearson, TWR Jaguar XJS
2. John Young / Andrew Smith, BMW 3.0 CSL
3. Vince Woodman / Dan Cox, Ford Cologne Capri
Sir Stirling Moss Trophy – Results
1. Alex Buncombe / Gary Pearson, Lister Knobbly
2. Jon Minshaw / Martin Stretton, Lister Jaguar Knobbly
3. Roger Wills / Joe Twyman, Lotus 15
Pre-War – Race Two Results
1. Alex Ames / Garreth Burnett, Alta Sports
2. Charles Gillett / Patrick Blakeney-Edwards, Frazer Nash Super Sports
3. Sam Stretton, Alta Sports
FIA Historic Formula One – Race Two Results
1. Nathan Kinch, McLaren Mp4
2. Joaquin Folch, Brabham BT49
3. Roger Wills, Tyrrell P34
Under Two Litre Touring Cars Pre-1966 – Results
1. Leo Voyazides / Simon Hadfield, Ford Lotus Cortina
2. Alex Furiani, Alfa Romeo GTA
3. Carlos Monteverde / Gary Pearson, Ford Lotus Cortina
[Source: Algarve Historic Festival; photo credit: Tim Scott / Fluid Images]