The inaugural Amelia Island Select auction will be held Saturday, March 8, 2014 on the grounds of the Omni Amelia Island Plantation Resort in Amelia Island, Florida. Staged by Hollywood Car Auctions, the sale will see approximately 125 American Classic, Sports, Racing, European and Contemporary automobiles cross the auction block, with five estimated to bring in excess of $1 million.
Among the headline offerings at the 2014 Amelia Island Select sale is a recreation of the famed 1952 Mercedes-Benz W194 that won the Carrera Panamericana race in Mexico. This scratch-built expression required years of planning and over five years of labor, fabrication and assembly. All components were genuine new old stock or period correct Mercedes-Benz parts. Another notable consignment is the red 1953 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible, believed to be purchased new by Joe DiMaggio for his girlfriend, Marilyn Monroe. The recipient of an extensive restoration, the Cadillac is one of 532 Eldorados built in 1953.
Vintage Indianapolis 500 race fans will enjoy the original 1954 AJ Watson-built Indianapolis 500 race car. This car was constructed as a joint effort between AJ Watson and Jud Philips for car owner Bob Estes. Documented as the first Watson Roadster built, it finished 7th in its first race at the 1954 Indianapolis 500. In 1955 the Watson Roadster was leading, but dropped out due to transmission failure; in 1956, driven again by Don Freeland, it finished 3rd. It retains the majority of its original drive line, suspension and bodywork components. The Roadster was featured with other historical Indianapolis cars at the 2011 St. John Concours, in addition to having participated in vintage track day events at Indianapolis.
A 2012 Bugatti Veyron Grand Sport Limited Edition will also be on offer, number 45 of approximately 150 cars that were built for 2012, in addition to a 2004 Ferrari 575 bodied by Zagato, one of six known to exist and delivered in 2006 to a Japanese collector.
Additional Amelia Island Select 2014 highlights include:
- 1973 BMW 3.0 CSi, original car, 5 speed, Nardi wheel, formerly on display at BMW factory in Spartanburg, S.C.;
- 1957 Desoto Adventurer Convertible, One of eleven known to exist and one of 300 built with factory Hemi and dual 4-bbl carbs, automatic;
- 1956 Mercedes-Benz 190 SL, factory black with red interior;
- 1969 Mercedes-Benz 600 Limo Sedan, excellent condition, preferred car of the celebrities and dignitaries, red/black, loaded with sunroof;
- 1970 Mercedes-Benz 280 SL, 1970 Mercedes-Benz 280 SL, a matching pair of black and tan twins, Automatics, both tops;
- 1953 Jaguar XK 120 SE Roadster, silver over red, competition styling, Borrani wire wheels, Brookland style wind screens, D-Type headrest faring;
- 1962 Austin-Healey 3000 MK II, recent restoration, red/red, factory tri-carb, wood steering wheel, chrome wire wheels, Lucas fog lamps, Anco luggage rack;
- 1968 Chevrolet Corvette L88 “Hanky Panky Special” T-Top Coupe, NCRS winner, 1 of 80 produced, 33,000+ miles, ‘Export’ model, Silver/black, M22 4 speed;
- 1962 Chevrolet Corvette “GM Styling Show Car”, Special anniversary gold firemist paint over tan leather interior, 327/300hp, award-winning car;
- 1929 Packard 626 Speedster Runabout, red/tan with a black top, straight eight, rumble seat, full instrumentation, wide whites;
- 1938 Brough Superior SS-100, “The Rolls Royce of Motorcycles”, 1000 cc, 3 speed, restored;
- 1933 Ford B Woody Station Wagon, older sympathetic restoration, mostly original;
- 1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible, 55,000+ miles, older mild reconditioning to preserve originality;
- 1952 Hudson Hornet 4-door sedan Twin H, 160 hp 3 speed/overdrive;
- 1967 Ford Fairlane factory 427 “R” code 4-speed street car, black on black, Drag race car history, highly documented.
Amelia Island Select 2014 – Auction Information
Location: Omni Amelia Island Plantation Resort and Spa Amelia Island, Florida.
Auction: March 8, 2014. The auction runs from 1pm – 8pm.
Preview: March 6-7, 2014 from 9am – 7pm. Hors d’oeuvres and cocktails will be available from 3pm – 6pm.
Admission: Admission to the auction is $20 and open to registered bidders and consignors only. Bidder registration is $200 and includes an official auction catalogue and admission for two to the preview and auction. Admission to the preview is open to the general public.
For additional information, visit AmeliaIslandSelect.com or call 1-800-237-8954.