The Concorso d’Eleganza Villa d’Este 2016 will be staged at the end of May on the grounds of the Hotel Villa d’Este and neighboring Villa Erba in Cernobbio, Italy. The three-day event, hosted by BMW Group Classic and the Villa d’Este luxury hotel, will again see a small field of 50 historic automobiles displayed against the backdrop of Lake Como.
The theme for the 2016 Concorso Villa d’Este will be “Back to the Future – The Journey Continues”. In addition, the first of nine competition classes was announced:
- Pre-war Decadence – Flights of Automotive Fantasy
- Pre-war Supercars – The fast and the Flamboyant
- Cars of the Stars – From the Silver Screen to the Studio lot
- Rally Cars – Heroes of the Special Stage, 1955 – 1985
- Daring to be Different – Designs that Pushed the Envelope
- Sur Mesure et Haute Couture – One-Offs for the Connoisseur
The Concorso d’Eleganza Villa d’Este in the northern Italian town of Cernobbio was initially held as an exhibition for new creations from the auto industry. First held at the same location in 1929, historic cars and motorcycles now compete for the favour of the jury in the various categories. As well as seeking approval from the experts, contestants will also by vying for the affections of the public, whose votes will determine the winners of several special prizes. In addition to classic vehicles boasting stand-out aesthetics and historical significance, the 2016 Concorso Villa d’Este will also present design studies and prototypes from various eras for visitors to admire.
For further information, visit ConcorsodEleganzaVilladEste.com.
[Source: Concorso Villa d’Este; photo: Pavel Novitski]