The 2009 Heacock Classic Gold Cup SVRA Historic Races were held June 5-7 at Virginia International Raceway in Alton, Virginia.
The tenth annual Gold Cup Races saw a field of nearly 300 race entrants, plus hundreds of entrants in the car show along with an enthusiastic crowd of spectators enjoying vintage sports cars racing on a classic road course.
“The Gold Cup concept was one of our ideas from the day we decided to reopen VIR,” said track partners Harvey Siegel and Connie Nyholm. “As racers ourselves in vintage races, this is a very special event and a special track. We always enjoy hosting vintage racers at VIR.”
Three days of racing featured a variety of races, from the enduros Friday afternoon to sprint races Saturday and Sunday, with Saturday’s qualifying sessions and races setting the starting lineups for Sunday’s events.
Friday’s first enduro was won by the pair of Gregg Frey and Ron Zitza, wheeling a Porsche 914/6. Travis Engen swept to the win in the second enduro, driving a Lola T97/20 Indy Lights car, beating out David Porter by over a lap. Engen repeated his win again Sunday afternoon, in a repeat of the same finishing order.
“We share the passion these drivers and spectators have for classic sports cars,” said event sponsor Ford Heacock, CEO of Heacock Classic collector car insurance, the event sponsor. “Bringing these cars together to race on a track whose layout is essentially unchanged from the day it opened in 1957 reminds us all of the sporting heritage we share.”
2009 Heacock Classic Gold Cup SVRA Historic Races Results and Picture Gallery (click photo for larger image)
1. Harry Gentry, Knoxville, TN, 1962 MG Midget
2. Todd Treffert, Milwaukee, WI, 1961 MGA
3. Quinn Derby, Charlotte, NC, 1968 Triumph Spitfire
1. Ted Wentz, Villanova, PA, 1968 Brabham BT23C
2. Travis Engen, Weston, CT, 1970 Chevron B17b
3. Lee Brahin, Cherry Hill, NJ, 1971 Chevron BT35
Group 3 and 4
1. Glenn Stephens, Alpharetta, GA, 1956 Lotus Eleven Le Mans
2. Ceasar Cone, Charlotte, NC, 1967 Alfa Romeo Duetto
3. Stacy Schepens, Atlanta, GA, 1964 Morgan 4/4
Group 5 and 6:
1. Larry Wilson, Columbia, SC, 1972 Royale RP17
2. Bill Thumel, Virginia Beach, VA, 1967 Lola T70 Mk II
3. Frank Fusillo, Oakville, Ontario, 1969 Chevrolet Corvette
Group Pre-War, etc.:
1. Manley Ford, Milford, MI, 1952 MGTD
2. Steve Konsin, Roswell, GA, 1953 MGTD
3. Lee Gaskins, Pauline, SC 1952 Morgan +4
1. Les Gonda, Keswick, VA, 1973 MGB/GT V-8
2. Perry Genova, Chapel Hill, NC, 1970 BMW 2002
3. Ross Bremer, Atlantic Beach, FL, 1972 Ford Escort Mk I
1. Ralph Thomas, Highlands, NC, 1990 Mazda Kudzu DG1/2
2. Howard Katz, New York, NY, 1975 Toj 205C
3. Jeff Wright, Wilmington, NC, Swift DB2
1. Travis Engen, Weston, CT, 2001 Lola T97/20
2. David Porter, Darien, CT, 1997 Lola T97/20
3. Michael Snowdon, Ile Cadieux, Quebec, 1971 GRD 272
Group 10 and Stock Car:
1. Maurice Hull, High Point, NC, 2005 Dodge Charger
2. Robert Mitten, Plantation, FL, 2006 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
3. Jack Finch, Thomasville, NC, 2006 Dodge Charger
Complete results of the 2009 Heacock Classic Gold Cup Historic Races can be found by clicking here.
[Source: Virginia International Raceway; photo credit, Al Wolford]