The Mecum Chicago 2016 auction was held October 6-8 at the Renaissance Schaumburg Convention Center in Illinois, resulting in $10.5 million in total sales.
A total of 435 cars changed hands over three days in Chicago, with American muscle cars, 1950s cruisers, import sports cars and late-model luxury rides making the top 10 list. Overall sales were led by a Grabber Blue 1970 Ford Mustang Boss 429 fastback featuring a concours restoration that brought a high bid of $245,000.
Other notable results at the 2016 Mecum Chicagoland auction included a 1966 Shelby GT350H Fastback at $137,500, an ex-Scottie Pippen 1988 Porsche 911 Turbo Cabriolet at $100,000, a 1957 Ford Thunderbird E-Code at $85,000 and a 1968 Shelby GT500KR Fastback at $77,000.
While the cars are always the stars at Mecum Auctions, Mecum Chicago 2016 also played host to one of the Chicago-area’s biggest darlings, the Chicago Blackhawks. Friday of the event was declared “Blackhawks Day” with special discounts offered for fans of the professional hockey team, as well as an appearance by the Blackhawks’ Street Team and an interactive display space with games and more on-site at the auction. The team’s namesake charity also offered a Blackhawks Experience package on Friday morning, which included an extensive list of VIP items and event passes. The offering package was sold for $10,000.
Mecum Chicago 2016 – Top Ten Auction Results (sales reflect hammer prices)
1. 1970 Ford Mustang Boss 429 Fastback (Lot S125.1) – $245,000
2. 1966 Shelby GT350H Fastback (Lot S123) – $137,500
3. 1967 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible (Lot S97) – $123,000
4. 1988 Porsche 911 Turbo Cabriolet (Lot S101) – $100,000
5. 2004 Rolls-Royce Phantom (Lot S69) – $90,000
6. 1956 Chevrolet Nomad Resto Mod (Lot S138.1) – $85,500
7. 1957 Ford Thunderbird E-Code (Lot S124) – $85,000
8. 1970 Dodge Hemi Challenger R/T (Lot S96) – $80,000
9. 1968 Shelby GT500KR Fastback (Lot S150) – $77,000
10. 1968 Ford Mustang Convertible (Lot S112) – $70,000
For complete auction results, visit Mecum.com.
Mecum’s next classic and collector car auction will be a 1,000-car offering in Dallas, November 2-5, followed by a 750-car auction in Anaheim, California, November 17-19. The auction house will close out 2016 with an auction in Kansas City, Missouri, December 1-3, and then kick off the New Year with the world’s largest classic and collector car auction in Kissimmee, Florida, January 6-15 featuring 3,000 vehicles. For more details on an upcoming auction, to consign a vehicle or to register as a bidder, visit Mecum.com or call (262) 275-5050.
[Source: Mecum Auctions]