The Florida auction kicked off Mecum’s 25th year and a staggering 2,158 vehicles crossed the block, the most in company history. The six-day event achieved a 30% increase in attendance over last year. Hammer price sales for the week-long auction totaled $55,397,462, and factoring in Buyer’s premium, total gross sales are reaching close to $60,000,000 as ‘Bid Goes On’ sales continue to rise. Mecum sold 1,548 vehicles with a 73% sell-through rate.
Mecum Auctions president Dana Mecum said, “Kissimmee kicked off the 2012 auction season and Mecum’s 25th year in business, and I can’t think of a better way to begin celebrating our Silver Anniversary than with a record-breaking auction. Company records were smashed in nearly every category including number of vehicles offered, vehicles sold, total sales, attendance, and number of registered bidders.”
With nearly 300 Corvettes offered during the 2012 Mecum Kissimmee auction, quite a few were in the Top Ten, but the top sale went to the 1963 Shelby Cobra Dragon Snake that hammered sold for $850,000. The Shelby Cobra CSX2093 is reportedly the winningest competition Cobra in history, having won 7 NHRA National events and the 1966 NHRA World Championship.
Mecum Kissimmee 2012 – Top Ten Auction Results (all sales reflect hammer prices)
1. 1963 Shelby Cobra Dragon Snake (Lot S220) – $850,000
2. 1969 Chevrolet Corvette L88 Convertible (Lot F199) – $610,000
3. 1969 Chevrolet Corvette L88 Coupe (Lot S103) – $270,000
4. 1963 Chevrolet Corvette RestoMod (Lot S226) – $255,000
5. 1967 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible (Lot T188) – $227,500
6. 1930 Packard 745 Waterhouse (Lot S83) – $225,000
7. 1941 Packard Darrin 180 Convertible Victoria (Lot S122) – $220,000
8. 1970 Plymouth Superbird (Lot K56) – $200,000
9. 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air Convertible (Lot S163) – $200,000
10. 1957 Ford Thunderbird F-Bird (Lot S129) – $200,000
For complete auction results, visit www.Mecum.com.
Dana Mecum observed, “We have a heavyweight title bout going on within our own organization for the title of World’s Largest Collector Car Auction. With the great success from this auction, Kissimmee 2012 has captured the crown from Indy 2011 as the World’s Largest. Stay tuned for ‘Indy in May’ as it works to regain the crown as the World’s Largest.”
The next Mecum Auction will be held in Kansas City, Missouri March 29-31, 2012 at the Kansas City Convention Center inside Bartle Hall, followed by the newest addition to the schedule, Houston April 13-14, 2012 at The Reliant Center. To consign or pre-register to bid for one of Mecum Auction’s upcoming events, visit www.Mecum.com or call 262.275.5050.
[Source: Mecum Auctions]