A stellar attraction of the legendary period from 1934 to 1939, the W154 represented the apogee of the supercharger era of Mercedes-Benz’s racing vehicles. Rudolf Carraciola drove a Silver Arrow to the Grand Prix world title in 1938. The car dominated again in 1939, piloted by Hermann Lang.
The W154 was created as a result of a rule change by the sports governing body AIACR, which required supercharged engine capacities to be limited to 3000cc. Mercedes’ previous car, the W125 used a 5700cc engine and was therefore ineligible to be entered. Mercedes decided that a new car, designed from the outset to comply with the new regulations would be preferable to modifying the existing car and thus designed the W154.
Germany’s Mercedes-Benz and Auto Union GP motor racing vehicles between 1934 and 1939 were dubbed “Silver Arrows” by the press, applying later to Mercedes-Benz F1 and sports cars from 1954 onward.
Very few of these cars were built and many were broken up or simply disappeared during the war era 1939-45 war. Audi has commissioned several replicas of their Auto Union ancestors which appear at important vintage events.
The Lime Rock feature was the first time this particular Mercedes-Benz W154 had been on a race track since 1939, when it finished 2nd in the Jugoslav Grand Prix driven by Manfred von Brauschitsch.
Mercedes-Benz W 154 Silver Arrow Photo Gallery
Mercedes-Benz W154 Silver Arrow Video (Shot and edited by John Godfrey jgatv.com)
[Source: Wikipedia; Lime Rock; photo credit: Al Wolford; video credit: John Godfrey]