The inaugural Porsche Race Car Classic was held Sunday, October 16, 2011 on the grounds of the Quail Lodge in Carmel, California.
The Porsche Race Car Classic 2011 honored Porsche cars from 1950-1965 and included purpose-built race cars and production cars with significant race history during that period. They were arranged in 18 groups, with each representing another step in Porsche’s march to the top ranks of the racing world.
From Gmünd coupes to the 911–and everything in between–the show field at the Porsche Race Car Classic displayed a wonderful array of the finest examples from the German automaker. Among the highlighted cars were the following:
- Pair of Porsche Typ 540 Aluminum Sport Roadsters
- 1960 Porsche RS60 that was the overall winner at the 12 Hours of Sebring in 1960 at the hands of Hans Herrmann and Olivier Gendebien
- Porsche 718 Formula 2 and 804 Formula 1, both from the Porsche Museum
- 1960 Porsche Carrera 2/2000GS GT Coupe from the Porsche Museum
- Both of the 1963 Porsche 2000GS Carrera 2 GT Dreikantschaber in existence
- Jerry Seinfeld’s 1973 Porsche 911 Carrera 2.8 RSR
- Jerry Seinfeld’s 1960 Porsche-Abarth 356B Carrera GTL driven in 1963 by Gewrhard Koch to class wins at Targa Florio and Nurburgring
- 1961 Porsche-Abarth 356B Carrera GTL that place first in class at Le Mans, Sebring and Targa Florio
- 1969 Porsche 911 GT factory rally car
- Ex-Pete Lovely 1955 Porsche Cooper “Pooper” that Pete raced to five class wins and the F-Modified National Championship in 1955.
- First Porsche 914/6 factory show car with only 6,237 miles
- Prototype 911R that set world speed records at Monza driven by Jo Siffert, Rico Steinemann, Charles Vogele and Dieter Spoerry
All net proceeds of the Porsche Race Car Classic went directly towards funding Lung Cancer Research, including the UCSF Thoracic Oncology Program and the Bonnie J. Addario Lung Cancer Foundation.
Photographer Bob Ross documented the 2011 Porsche Race Car Classic, offering the following pictures of the rare Porsches on display at the Quail Lodge event. To see more from Bob, visit rosshots.com.
Porsche Race Car Classic 2011 – Photo Gallery (click image for larger picture and description)
[Source: Porsche Race Car Classic; photo credit: Bob Ross]